Sunday, January 4, 2009

Thoughts for 2009

I have always had a surface-level relationship with my New Years Resolutions. Likely because forced self-reflection is about as effective as court ordered rehab, I digress. Anyway something is definitely different about 2009, because I feel a strong urge to make some concrete resolutions and stick to them. 2008 was a tumultuous year, I turned 23, definitively an adult. I graduated from University, and I started thinking about the next step. And that is where I stalled, and I have been spinning my wheels ever since. So long in fact that I choose to to take a break there in the mud and have a proverbial sandwich and a nap. So my first resolution is to wake up. A lot harder than you might think. Waking up, especially when the days look short and grey can be down right impossible. But it has to be done. So now I'm up and it's time to get over it, hence the next resolution. Get over it. That one applies to so many things; lost love, disappointment and my own ego. Getting over it could take the whole year easily. But because I want to seriously commit to myself, I have one more resolution which will help propel me through the getting over it, and that is to get on with it. Get on with it. Good resolution. You can never underestimate the power of letting go. It is especially important for me, because I cling to control. So if I can resolve to just get on with it, then I open myself up to the changes that are happening. For so long this past year I have felt the need to take control of the transitions in my life, analyze them, and label them. Makes for easy storage, but that is just it, I don't want to store my life I want to live it. So to get what I want I am going to wake myself up, get over all those things that have kept me in bed, and just get on with it. Get stuff done and WATCH as my actions bring me closer to the control I want.

No comments: