Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Milk



I can't fucking wait for this movie to come out. Harvey Milk is one of my favorite figures in history. His story has always moved me, and it's about time that it has been put on film. He helped define San Francisco in the later half of the 20th century, and his impact on gay rights is undeniable. As an American of Irish decent and a proud Hag, I have always been drawn to this story because of the convergence in my own life that is present in the history of Harvey Milk's rise to political prowess; and his death at the hand of a raging Irish bigot. Those social themes are still simmering under the surface in San Francisco. Sean Penn seems perfectly cast, and it doesn't hurt that the two hottest actors in Hollywood are also starring, James Franco and Emile Hirsch. The former I am sure everyone is familiar with, especially now that Pineapple Express has become such a hit. Hirsch, who is probably less well know but equally as endearing was the star of last year's sleeper hit, Into the Wild. I'd take either, or both!

1 comment:

PhillM said...

Awesome! My friend worked on it! I love the vintage look of it! I miss San Francisco:(

Thanks for the birthday comment. I haven't been able to find his official website, but I was able to find this: http://www.sfmoma.org/eliasson/data/index.html

I am still searching, though.