Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sawatdee Kaa Bangkok

Well India kicked us on our way out the door. Figurative speaking anyway. Literally they almost wouldn't let Justin in the airport because his name was not on the confirmation documented I had printed from Thai Air. Then the bitches at the check in desk gave us a whole lot of 'tude. "Is there a post box at the airport?" I asked.
"No,"
"Really, because several people assured me that there was?"
She asked around. "No"
Then the guy checking in next to us asked what we were looking for.
"A post box," I said.
"O yes there is one right over there." It was within sight from the check in desk.
"But you could miss it," he said sheepishly because the woman behind the desk was glaring daggers. You could not miss it. After that Justin asked if we could have seats with extra leg room since he is so talk. Maybe first class he added good naturedly.
"I have plenty of aisle seat." She said icily, with the most bullshit smirk on her face. As we walked away from the check in desk Justin and I looked at each other and I could tell we were thinking the same thing. Let's get the hell out of India

We've been in Bangkok for two days, and we are already in love. Bangkok is like a playground for adults. Our hotel has a pool on the roof. There are 7elevens everywhere. You can drink in the streets. And the food is incredible, and you don't have to worry about getting sick from it. Even the stuff on the streets is safe, which is good because it also delicious and super cheap. You can eat, drink or check your email 24 hours a day. We went out to DJ Station last night, a gay bar in the Patpong district. I was invited up on stage to shake my tits with a fat drag queen. These things are always happening to me.* On our way to the club we got offered tickets to the ping pong sex shows, which are famous here, about two dozen times. I am sure you can imagine what that entails, but if you are not very imaginative google it or youtube Priscilla Queen of the Desert. We also had the most delicious margaritas. And our tuk tuk driver did some stunts with us in the back on our way home. We've been to the mall twice. But only to one of the malls. I have counted at least four. We can't go to the others because of all the pesky protests.

O yea did I mention the political unrest. No? Oh I guess it slipped my mind. I am not sure how since it has been on the cover of the Tribune everyday since we arrived. Probably I forgot because the papers make it sound scarier than it really is. In fact from what I have seen the Thai protests are more like street fairs or music festivals. In fact there are live bands and pop groups performing, and there are stalls with food and souvenirs for sale. So how a Thai protest is different from a music festival I can't figure. The red shirts really know how to throw a good protest. Except for the whole shutting down the malls and storming the parliment. In fact there is a state of emergency in Bangkok right now, but so far the only impact it has had on us is divered traffic and a slight hike in tuk tuk prices because of detours.

Bangkok has really great public transportation. We've taken the Sky train everywhere, and the water ferries and even the public buses which are super easy and cheap to navigate. Tomorrow we are going to the floating market in the morning, and then we are going to spend the afternoon at the pool and go out for dinner and dancing. Life is rough...

* Happy ending massages galore

No comments: