Wednesday, March 17, 2010

'shram life

We've been at the Ashram for one week, feels more like one year. Everyday we get up at 5am for chanting. I usually don't get up till 5:15 but I still manage to make it to the kitchen for a soya coffee, (sans caffeine) before we start at quarter to 6. I know, I am a pro. Then from 6 to 7 we have asana class, that's yoga poses for all of you. Afterwards we usually have half an hour free, for showering or laundry whatever you can manage to fit in. Oh yea and going to the bathroom. Something which can be remarkably difficult to schedule. Then it's time for Karma yoga.

Karma yoga usually involves cleaning or helping in the kitchen, but one day I got to pick flowers, since I am a former professional landscaper. After Karma yoga we have breakfast. Yea we get up at 5 but don't eat till 9, it gets a bit rough. We usually have fruit and rice for breakfast, which took a bit of adjustment. Indians honestly eat curry all the time! They don't even call it curry, just rice, but it is definitely currified. After breakfast we have two lectures divided by 45 minutes of yoga nidra. The lectures are usually given either by Guruji, the head of the Ashram, or by one of several doctors on a variety of health and therapy topics.

In between lectures we practice yoga nidra which is basically glorified napping. It is a relaxation practice that helps to re-energize. You actually aren't supposed to fall asleep but I haven't made it through one session yet. I don't fall completely asleep but I am definitely not really awake either. The first time we practiced it Justin was right next to me and at one point I was feeling very relaxed when I noticed he was gently hitting me. Allegedly I had been snoring. But I don't know how that is possible since I don't snore . The good news is that it was such a manly snore that all the people nearby thought it was Justin. Yoga nidra works amazingly well. I am always very drowsy during our first lecture but afterwards I feel totally awake and focused. It is amazing!

After our second lecture it is time for lunch. And then we have a two hour break before our next two lectures. Those are usually given by a different doctor on some specific health topic, i.e. digestive disorders or lab test diagnostics. It is actually quite intensive. Then we have a second asana class. This one is usually a bit more physical than our morning practice. Followed by another half hour of chanting before dinner. And after dinner we either have time to ourselves, to go to the library, or the ashram store (a very dangerous place for me.) Or we have discussions with Gandhar our course instructor. Gandhar tells wonderful stories and is a wealth of knowledge about a huge variety of topics. Sometimes after discussion they give us hot milk, a real treat and then it is bed time. It sounds pretty intense now that I am reading it but honestly it is very relaxing and after all of the traveling around it is nice to be in one place.

Today is our only day off for the next two weeks which means it is a good time to indulge in the forbidden c's - cheese, coffee, and chocolate cake!

No comments: