Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Breaking up is hard to do

Like all break-ups leaving India is not without its pains. I got sick, one last round of diarrhea, can't leave India without it! And earlier this week I got yelled at by the Ashram boss. Not exactly sure why I was targeted but I ended up in tears. Long story short it's hard being a yogie. And to further that point tomorrow morning we are supposed to do our final cleansing technique practical. This time we have to eat a long piece of cloth and then regurgitate it, all the while resisting the urge to a.) vomit and b.) swallow it, (since swallowing the cloth requires surgery to remove it. Kids don't try this at home.)

Needless to say that requires a great deal of peace of mind. Unfortunately mine has really been put to the test today. Justin and I had to send home a package with some books that we bought here which got me thinking about how several of my other packages haven't arrived home yet. Even though I sent them in January. The tracking number for one says that it has arrived, so you know figuring that out is going to be a nightmare. Then this afternoon I went online to buy concert tickets for Lo's birthday, (don't worry she already knows) but the tickets wouldn't process, which was odd. So I checked my account and it appears that there is a fraudulent charge on my credit card at a Tesco in Dungannon, UK where ever that is. And of course the VISA fraud claim line is not 24 hours so now I have to wait to get in touch with them till tonight. I don't even know if they have flagged the charge but my card does seem to be frozen so I guess that's a good sign? I know it's no big deal and VISA will sort it out eventually, but man what a pain. And right before we leave for Thailand. So moral of the story is even the most amicable break-up always leave a bitter taste in your mouth, or on the cloth to be precise.

But then again break ups are also a good time to reflect about all the good times you had together, from a safe distance and with perfect hindsight vision. And when I look back I am truly in awe of India. I never could have imagined how much I would fall in love with this place. From the greenery of Bangalore, the overwhelming chaos and energy of Tiruvannamalia. The stunning promenade and grace of Pondicherri, not to mention the efficiency of the St. Joseph's hospital staff. The cliffs of Varkala and the waves of the Indian Ocean. Goa, both good and bad. (Read Arambol - never again. Also worth noting that one of my missing parcels was sent from Arambol, coincidence, I think not.) Then the whirlwind of Mumbai with T and Charlie. And Rajasthan, Rajasthan Rajasthan, where I truly fell in love with India, (also where parcel #2 was lost, so cuts both ways this India.) Agra and the case of the missing monument. Then Riskikesh both with my parents and without. Varanasi where the honeymoon ended for sure. And the ashram which was a bit like that long term relationship both comfortable and challenging, relaxing and infuriating. And now there is nothing left to do but pack...

oh and ps I bought a USB stick so keep your eyes out for a photo post from my glorious love affair with India. Next up Thailand, where Justin and I are going to reconnect with our inner, (and outer) gay queens, relax on the beach and have a drink and maybe even some meat for the first time in months and learn Thai massage. That is if I can get my credit card unfrozen.

No comments: