Thursday, May 29, 2008

Olafur @ MOMA


Earlier this month I was in NYC with Paul, for an art cram session. We made a Herculean effort to see all of the current blockbusters, in four days. We did most of Chelsea; saw Takashi at the Brooklyn Museum, Jeff Koons on the roof of the Met, and Cai Guo-Qiang at the Guggenheim. We saw both Christie’s and Sotheby’s previews for their evening sales, which happened in mid-May. And we also saw the two part exhibit of Olafur Ellison’s at PS1 and MOMA. Unfortunately we went to MOMA on friday afternoon, so that we would not have to pay the outrageous entrance fee of nearly 20$. I say unfortunately, because everyone else in New York City was there as well. Anyway, we took Joe along, one of my good NY friends, who I have known since our days at San Francisco’s School of the Arts - (SOTA). Joe is not a big art buff, although he is my authority on all things musical, but he took to Olafur like white on rice. The elements in Ellison’s work related to theatrics, performance and location were not lost on Joe. Since I am going down to NY again on Sunday to work a reading for Joe’s company NY Theatre Barn, I thought I would post this image he sent me from our trip to MOMA. I’ll get a few more images up here once I get to Manhattan…

2 comments:

PhillM said...

I saw his showing at the MOMA in San Francisco last year, it was amazing! I have been looking for his website(I can't seem to find it anymore) Does anyone know what it is? Thanks.
-Phill

PhillM said...

Look at one of my new favorite artists!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2KkGFuRLew&feature=PlayList&p=94A14A584C7B7B3E&index=21

His name is Theo Jansen. Very cool.