Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mum and Pop


When I was in elementary school at Commodore Sloat Elementary, my nautical obsession started early, we had a school fundraiser that included a karaoke booth. This was the coolest karaoke booth because it featured, almost exclusively, Motown song options. But that is not even the best part. The best part was that they made you a cassette of your recording after you were finished. My parents choose to sing the above track Earth Angel. And man did they butcher it. My father was flat the entire song, and my mother sang it it three octaves to high. That cassette was possibly the funniest thing I had ever heard. As my brother and I grew up we would occasionally put it on to humiliate our parents. If you timed it right you could interrupt a heated argument or sombre discussion with the ear piercing sound of my mother and father sharing their love for one another in song. It always effectively altered the mood mood and made everyone burst out laughing. I think the tape is long gone now that my parents have moved across the globe but I can still hear it in my mind. You are lucky that you can't.

No comments: